Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Go be happy.

After an evening in the city this past weekend, visiting a few friends who are dealing with some pretty serious illnesses, I posted this little blurb on Facebook:   

"Good morning, beautiful people. Do me (and yourself!) a favour this week, would you please? Let's focus on all the things that are wonderful about our lives, instead of all the things that suck about it. Choose blessings over hardships. There are a lot of people out there who are really truly struggling, and most of us are not among them. Find some of them this week, do good things for them. Instead of focusing on whats terrible in the world, go make it a better place."

I'm getting terribly tired listening to folks kvetch and whine about all the "hardships" they are enduring.  Sure, I am sometimes guilty of the same thing, but I try to keep it light and humorous, and recognize that in the grand scheme of things, my "first world problems" are nothing compared to much of the suffering that many others deal with.  

I don't know why so many people focus on the negative in their lives.  I can't see how it's healthy, happy making, or constructive.  And to me, it takes WAY more work, and (miserable) effort to be cranky and angry at the world.  A state of contentment is a much easier place to live in.  

I don't really know what my point is here.  I do however know that this message is crucial...and I want more people to get it.  And to GET it.  

I think Jack Layton said it best:  

“My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.”

Go.  Be happy.  It'll change the world!  

xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment