Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Month of Happy: Breastfeeding

As a nod to world breastfeeding week (it would be MORE in honor of it if I wasn't a day late, but it'd the thought that counts) today's Happy post is dedicated to me, and this dude, and my boobs. (How's that for an opener?)
Me and my boobs have been nourishing this little guy for 2 years and 8 months now.  Yup, I'm one of those people, those "extended breastfeeders."  And I love just about everything about it.

I had no idea when we started this relationship 32 months ago, that we'd still be at it today.  I had a goal this time to make it to a year, and a more secret goal to make it to two years, which came and went without anyone showing signs of wanting to stop.  I figured our week long trip to Japan in May would be the end of it, but dragged my hand pump with me, which I was happy to have when things got a little bit sore a few days into the trip.  When we got home, we picked back up like I'd never been gone.

I've never really been given a hard time about still nursing a kid that's pushing three, but I kind of keep to myself about it too.  Frankly, in my opinion, it's none of anybody's beeswax how long I choose to breastfeed my kids, or how long you choose to breastfeed yours.  However, I also know the flipside is that the more people talk about nursing their 2, 3, 4 year olds (and onwards, if you so desire) then the more normalized it will become.  So here I am.

Most of the time, I love our nighttime (nearly every night) and morning (which gets skipped more often) moments together.  It's a chance to take a deep breath, and know that for the next 15 minutes the only thing that matters in the world is me and Corben.  And he loves it too.  I don't know when he'll want to stop, or if I will first, my only hope is that when the time does come the decision is mutual.  For now it remains one of my favourite moments of the day, a special moment just for us, and I'll treasure it for as long as it lasts.   





No comments:

Post a Comment