Sunday, August 26, 2012

Change is the only constant

I kind of fell off the Month of Happy Bandwagon. 

You know that phrase - "Never be too busy making a living, that you forget to make a life?"  (Or however it goes.)

Yes, that.  We've been very busy making a living, and trying to make a life all at the same time.

But once again, everything is about to change. 

So long "making a living." My last day of full time work is this coming Friday.  Full time work, with full time benefits, and a full time paycheque.  Adios amigos.

I don't want to get into the long story, nor to I want to be vague and let you think something when that's not really the story, so I'll make it brief:

I asked to have things changed, so that I could make my family the priority over my job.  I still wanted to DO my job, or a version thereof, but needed some things to shift.  They said no.  And so, I left. 

And that's all I'll say.  (You can take a wild guess about how that rubbed me.)

And so here I stand, unemployed to be.  One hundred percent certain that I made the right decision about what is best for my family.  And scared shitless, all at the same time.  And throwing myself on the mercy of the universe, hoping that it's all going to be ok. 

And knowing, that in all this, we'll be happy.  We ARE happy.

So...raise your hand if you've ever paddled in this boat before...I know lots have.  Any advice?

I'd love to hear your pearls of wisdom (or even your terrible jokes if they'll make me smile!) 

Much love,
xoxox

3 comments:

  1. You're not unemployed..you've got your soap, to start. We make a go of it with me staying home. I've stayed home since I got sick with my first pregnancy, and I don't have plans to go to work full time, even once all the kids are in school. This is a good time for you to do it, since you're already on the "simplify your life" wagon. Basically we learn to do without the big ticket extras, including eating out a lot, or a new computer/tv/phone just because it's newer. We want to consume less, and so it helps whenever I think about buying something new - do I want to bring this extra thing into my home?

    Just think of all the adventures you'll get to have each and every day with your boys, especially in that fantastic new place of yours! And if you get tired of talking with a two year old all day, give me a call and I'll bring Benjamin up to romp around in the mud with Corben - he'll think it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I quit my full-time job years ago, and went back to school . . . made a baby boy . . . stay(ed) at home with him . . . love it (mostly) . . . still working away at school (a different program) . . . but love that I wake up to a little smiling face each and every day. I'm the happiest I've been in years . . . and yeah, I was scared shitless when I first made the choice, BUT I am so glad that I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in that boat and loving the adventure, all be it a little rocky at times. Throw all the maps out of the canoe and accept what comes your way. Life is good, so take notice and say thank you! Focus on what you have and you will be overwhelmed by goodness. I have never regreted the decision to be with my family. These days when the kids are young are precious and few. Enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete